Just because there’s not that much out there:
- The Mitchell Report is due tomorrow. Assuming that the dog doesn’t eat his homework, I’m sure Mr. Mitchell will give us plenty of things to talk about in the grand scheme of baseball. Will there be any Cardinals on the list? Supposedly 60-80 current and former players will be, so it’d be hard to have the Cardinals passed over. Also, what are the odds that the report makes it to tomorrow with no leaks? I’d place those odds pretty darn low.
- Apparently our good friends to the north have picked up another outfielder. We’ll see how well he translates to the major leagues. He’s 30, so he’s in the middle of his prime. Being the Cubs, you’d figure it’d blow up in their faces. Even if he does well, I don’t think he’s a difference-maker, but maybe I’ve just not followed him enough. I still think the Brewers are the team to beat in the NL Central.
- That same article indicates that Mark Prior will be non-tendered today. I’ve talked about picking up Prior a couple of times, under the non-tender scenario and the trade route. I think Mozeliak should be on the phone with his agent as soon as the paperwork clears the MLB front office.
- I remember reading something (and I’ve searched for a link, to no avail) that Mozeliak said before the winter meetings that he expected to have stuff done by mid-December. It’s getting to that point and not much has happened. I know the Cards are in an awkward position of basically giving up on ’08 for ’09 and ’10, but still Mo, throw us bloggers a bone and make some sort of move!
- If you want to look around the Cardinals minors while the news is slow, check out Future Redbirds’ prospect lists. That should give you a pretty good indication of who is who in the farm system. I’m guessing Erik and company will be adding the community top 25 they just finished to that page soon.